Thursday, November 3, 2011

Why I post on KLCI Market PE

The market PE of KLCI isn't readily available to retail investors. I spent a good few months searching hi n lo for this info. I don't know if there are many out there who are interested in the PE of KLCI, but I personally find it useful.
When someone tells you the market is cheap (like now), how do you know if there is any truth to it? The average long term historical PE of KLCI is about 16. During the Great Financial Crisis in 2009, it plunged to 11ish. (Info sourced from Public Mutual Market Wrap).
For STI, historical mean PE is about 15. In 2009, it dropped to 6.
At these values, you can safely say, yes the market is cheap.
So what is the PE of KLCI today?
On 3rd Nov 2011, 4:06PM, KLCI 1457, PE is 15.78. Is this screaming cheap? I fear not. Forget about forward PE. With recession imminent in the EU and looming in US, I suggest you tell whoever who says market is cheap based on forward PE to stick his/head up 'watever rocks your boat'.
I will be updating the market PE of KLCI on a daily basis, along with my blog entry of the day. If I slack, feel free to leave your comment on this blog with expletives of your choice as a reminder that there is someone out there interested in this piece of info.

No comments:

Post a Comment